It’s a bird, it’s a plane… oh, it’s just the iPhone 4S… whatever.
To all those who have been waiting for the iPhone 5 for months, you better start waiting longer because it doesn’t exist…. yet.
Yesterday was Apple’s first keynote with Tim Cook as CEO, and there was quite a bit of speculation coming into it. Weeks before the meeting, people expected a new iPhone 5. Then there were discussions that the iPhone 5 would be thinner, have a wider screen, and be 4G capable. Then rumors surfaced that the iPod Classic and Nano would be discontinued. Then there were rumors of Sprint getting the iPhone 5. Then there was no iPhone 5, only an iPhone 4S. Then rumors went around that Facebook might finally have an iPad app…. And that is not even half the rumors I read about.
So what are my thoughts on yesterdays’s announcements? I will give you the key points about the other announcements at this keynote and then dive into details about the iPhone 4S, and my predictions of Apple’s future phone development. (NOTE: Basically every link moving forward will direct you to a Mashable.com article. They had the best articles, so by no means did I favor their articles… even though they are my favorite tech & gadget blog)
So much for discontinuing the iPod Nano. Not only did they improve the Nano to keep track of your exercise with Nike’s fitness program, it is now going after the watch market (Rolex, beware). Those who did not follow yesterdays announcement must be lost, but I’m not joking. The new iPod Nano can be fashioned as a watch with 16 different digital clock interfaces (including Mickey Mouse on the right). So much for a dead product…
iOS 5 launch
So when Apple was discussing iOS 5, those who watched the WWDC began to wonder, “Is any of this new information?” Regardless, the much anticipated iOS 5 update is set to be released on October 12th for free. This upgrade will be available for all devices, and will thus create the iCloud. No more wires needed as the iCloud will now sync all your Apple products together. iOS 5 also has many new features (none that were new to this keynote) that you can read about here.
This one is pretty self explanitory. So if you are one of those people who like to use a great product with a horrible service, by all means, get the iPhone on Sprint. In my mind, that is like buying a Maserati and living in the worst neighborhood possible (*cough*Camden, NJ*cough*).
No, that is not a typo. The iPhone 3S is now free, while the iPhone 4 is now only $99. So if you are looking for a bargain, you can’t really go wrong with these cheap phones!
Out of nowhere, Apple has created an app that will let you create your own greeting cards with 21 different designs. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, Apple takes it one step further. Instead of just e-cards, you can have Apple print them on quality paper and mail them to anyone you want in the world. The cost: $2.99 domestic, $4.99 international. Yes, that is cheaper than a card at the store, not to mention this price includes postage! Oh and I can’t forget to mention that you will get a push notification once your letter is mailed (US only).
I honestly believe this was the sleeper at this keynote. Hallmark better have been paying attention because they have a new competitor that came out of nowhere.
So what exactly is the iPhone 4S? Basically, its iPhone 4 2.0. It has many new features, but has the exact same body. Here is a list of the major upgrades that will come with this phone:
- This is now a global phone that can support international calls.
- The phone will come in black AND white,
- There will be an 8 megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p HD video. This is pretty powerful for a phone camera, making it one of the best available.
- iOS 5 will be included.
- A new Find My Friends app will be included: like Google Latitude, you can share access with anyone you want to so each of you can see where you are located based on your iPhone location (creepy, I know…).
- Double the power, double the speed… iPhone 4S will have an A5 chip, which is the same processor on the iPad. However, there was no mention of 4G.
- Siri - Apples news Voice Assistant: This new program lets you speak to your iPhone different commands to follow (such as calling people or searching something on the internet). It also supports text-to-speech, which means it can read to you as well.
- The iPhone 4S is available for pre-order on October 7 and ships on October 14th. It will also be available in-store on October 14th.
What is yet to come: iPhone 5
So yes, there is no iPhone 5, but it will come eventually. What it will bring is a mystery, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have fun and speculate based on Apple tendencies and previous rumors. So here is a run down of what I think the future of the iPhone might look like:
- No new phone until WWDC 2013, which typically happens in the summer months (June)… My guess: Release date - August 2013
- It will be thinner, have a wider screen, a curved back, and 4G capabilities, all on top of a computer like processor
- It will look sleeker with its curves and glossy surface. Click here to see the 10 best mockups of the iPhone 5.
- It will continue to be available in black and white
- There will be something else that will once again redesign the phone as we know it.. but none of us will know what it is
I know the last bullet is vague, but Apple is always recreating products. That is all I can predict. Maybe none of those happen and Apple creates a phone new product to market… we won’t know until Tim Cook takes the stage again.
One more thing…
I have some advice for the new CEO Tim Cook… NEVER SAY “One more thing…” AT A TECH MEETING!!! People will take you literally and think you have one more “thing.” Towards the end of the announcement, everyone got excited that Apple would actually have a point for this keynote. Bloggers and journalists everywhere were already pretty disappointed to being with, so they were only let down more when they found out there wasn’t “one more thing.”
My Final Thoughts
Apple had a pointless meeting that could have been announced through a simple press release. I’m not alone with these thoughts. Many bloggers and influential tweeps shared their disappointment on the web. It is no surprise that Apple’s stock dropped 5% immediately after the announcement. Regardless, the iPhone 4S is still already considered one of the best phones on the market without it even being available yet. If you need a new phone now and like the iPhone, go ahead and get it. However, if you think you can wait, just hold off until the new iPhone 5… whenever that is.
Before I could finish this post, a new iPhone 5 rumor has already surfaced. Could the iPhone 5 with LTE 4G make its debut this spring? If so, my guesses would be wrong already…